Monday 20 June 2011

art, art and more art

What a weekend! I went on a bit of an art splurge Sat and Sun and managed to visit no less than four stunning galleries in London. 


And what caused this mad interest in art? I've recently become the proud new owner of a National Art Pass. Created by the Art Fund, this pass gives you free entry to over 200 museums and galleries as well as 50% off admission to major exhibitions - so worth the £35 annual fee!



First visit was The Hayward to see Tracey Enim: Love is What You Want. Whilst I've heard a lot about Enim as a celebrity, I wasn't super aware of who she was as an artist. The show is almost like a retrospective of her work, covering every period of her career and showing her art in a wide array of medium. For sure worth checking out...but after my visit, I can't say I love Enim as an artist.




Next we checked at the BP Portrait Awards at the National Portrait Gallery. One word for the works on display: stunning. There was a variety of portraits to see, some looked like photographs, others paid homage to classical art. The skill involved was evident in each portrait and made for quite phenomenal viewing.






Tracey Enim photo via Southbank Centre
National Portait Winners via NPG

No comments:

Post a Comment